Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Season Preview: New Orleans Hornets

Some of you might be thinking I have too much time on my hands, and you know what? I probably do. So we continue with my slapdash amateur analysis.

New Orleans Hornets

Starting 5:
PG- Chris Paul
SG- Morris Peterson
SF- Peja Stojakovic
PF- David West
C- Tyson Chandler

Off the bench
Guards: Mike James, Devin Brown
Forwards: James Posey, Rasual Butler, Julian Wright, Ryan Bowen
Centers: Hilton Armstrong, Melvin Ely, Sean Marks

The feel-good story team of last season is still around, the same starting 5 (which is always a good sign), and all with an extra year of experience. The core of the team, the Big 3 (Paul, Chandler, and West) are still young and in their prime (23, 26, and 28 respectively). Morris Peterson will never be an All-Star but they just need him to be a defensive stop, Peja will never get back to his All-Star form but they just need him to hit his 3s, and he can still do that. All in all the talent level of the squad is off the charts. The addition of James Posey, a solid defender who can hit clutch 3s, and with two rings of his own on his resume, is key for their reserve squad.

There are mixed feelings about the loss of Pargo to Europe, but I don't know that they need such a shot happy backup to Chris Paul. If Mike James is healthy, I think he can do the job well enough. Depth is kind of an issue here, but I think Posey and Bonzi are solid backup roles. While I'm still not sold on Armstrong or Ely, I suppose it's a serviceable backcourt if anything.

All in all, look for a similar performance as last season, 57-60 wins, and being in the West, I suppose I can't say where they'll be, but another team that could be expected to go all the way.

No comments: